In the beginning there was nothing in the form of a good school in the south of Colombo for Catholic boys. That is, nothing, except in the minds of that French priest, Rev. Fr. Maurice Le Goc who was Rector of St. Joseph’s College, Maradana at the time and the then Archbishop of Colombo Most Rev. Dr. Anthony Courdet OMI (Archbishop 1905 – 1929).
The year was 1919 and the first World War had concluded on 11th November in the previous year, when Fr. Le Goc first thought of a school for Catholic boys elsewhere, as he realised that St. Joseph’s had reached the limits of students it could accommodate. And while travelling on his motor bicycle as was his habit, he spotted a block of land at the southernmost end of Bambalapitiya adjoining the Wellawatte canal, so reminiscent of the Beire lake by his beloved St. Joseph’s College.